Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

To Co-Sleep or Not


Some families share a bed. Everyone piles into the same bed no matter how many. I, however, could not do that. Have you every tried it. With just one toddler, I sometimes will put him into our bed. I don't sleep well, my husband ends up on the couch or elsewhere, and my son gets his rest as he inches me to the edge of the bed. It's crazy.

As a nursing mother, I found it so tempting to keep the baby in bed when he woke every two or three hours to eat. Then again, you hear the horror stories about infants being smothered by pillows or their parents. How terrible. I had been given a little basinet for next to our bed. My son would not sleep well in it, he prefered the big crib. So I invested in a monitor and even slept in his room a few times.

Then, when he was 6 months old, we had the flood. So here this poor kid was in new home, new bed, and his world turned upside down. So, in my bed he slept for 3 months while we repaired our home. We slept on a mattress on the floor because I was terrified he would fall off. I would line the floor with pillows and blankets next to the mattress so that if he did fall he would have some padding. Funny that most nights, I ended up sleeping on those pillows while he enjoyed the mattress. It was comforting to me as well because I was often home alone till late at night while my husband worked on the house.

So as we moved back into our house, I knew this had to change. I would rock him to sleep to have him wake up when I layed him down. It would take hours for me to get him down. So my husband convinced me to let him cry it out. It took four hours for him to fall asleep. I have to say he did well, he did not get hysterical, just whimpered. I, on the otherhand, was terrible. I felt like the worst mommy.

Now I know that it was for the best because ever since then, he sleeps in his bed happily. Sometimes, he just happens to find his way back into our bed. I can't say that I mind, I just try to limit it to the times when he is sick or had a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment