I like to consider being a SAHM a lifestyle choice. I choose to raise my children and be the biggest influence in their lives. I understand this is not common practice anymore. Our society has become complacent with the idea of dropping small children off with strangers for the majority of their waking hours even when financially capable to be a one income family. I was totally shocked by a family member today by a unsupportive attitude of my being a SAHM. So I found myself in tears, feeling totally alone over my stove barefoot with two toddlers playing in the background. If only I were pregnant! LOL!
So here I find myself. I have picked myself up and am going to support myself in my blog which no one reads. But hey, I will feel better right?
I have a college degree and worked for a few years before I had my oldest over 3yrs ago. I made more money than my husband, I could of been the "bread winner"! Yet in our premarital counseling when the topic of SAHM or working mom came up, I insisted I stayed home. Do I feel like I wasted 4 yrs and a ton of money. NO WAY! After all, I met my husband and will always have that accomplishment and a career to fall back on. I mean someday I will go back to work. Kids are little only so long. My husband, fiance at the time, was against. We had several more discussions about this because how we raised our children was very important to my husband, a teacher, and me the product of parents that worked non stop to get ahead. Well of course he wanted to know why. WHY? EASY!
First, I spent several holidays away from my mom. I have horror stories of babysitters. I memories of field trips, programs, and birthday parties my parents missed because they had to work to make ends meet. I came to a point in my life when I decided that when the time came, I hoped it would be an option for me to give my children those memories. Now, do I hold any of this against my mom, of course not. She is the hardest working mom you will meet and did it all for me and my sister. I know she did what she had to. Believe me!
Second, I want to raise my own kids. I want to be their when they meet milestones, not be told when I pick them up. I want to teach them morals, discipline, ABC's, and 123's. I want to pick them up when they fall and clap my hands when they stand back up. I mean, who would take such privileges away from a mom. It's fun and it's hard. Their are days I think, I did this why? LOL! But don't we all in any job we do?
So it was finally a discussion with his mom that turned him around. I had an ally. So we did what we could before the kids to set our lives up to be a one income family. Now, all that is under attack. I am not gonna go over all the details but it's all up to the politicians of this "great" state. Just turn on the news. My husband, now a huge advocate of SAHM's, has told me of all these changes that could be coming to his career that would push me back into the working world. SIGH! All I feel I can do is pray and hope that this all works out so that my lifestyle will still be supported. I can say that it is hard to think about all the time and energy my husband and I have put into our family and to have it change will be hard to chew. So for now, I know the lifestyle I choose is what is right for my family. Whether all support it or not, I do what I do because I love my kids and this is what I feel is best for them. Not to say what you do is wrong. We all have that decision to make.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I think you are doing a great thing for your family. No matter what decision you make for your family, someone will always be against it or judgmental. Ultimately, you and your husband have to do what is right for you and what works for your family. Keep your head up girlie!!! You will always have my support!
ReplyDelete