Today, I was taken back to a day I would like to forget. I like to call this the worst day of my life. This day is June 7, 2008. This is the day that in the blink of an eye, our house and several others were destroyed by a flood. As tax season is here, my husband and I are preparing some paperwork to claim a huge loss in hopes that we may see some return. I pulled out the photo album to help jog my memory of what all we lost. As I flipped thru each page of the photo album, my heart and eyes filled with sadness.
I saw the bed my son spent his first night in next to the bed that I didn't sleep in that night. I saw the couch I spent four weeks on day and night on bedrest before he was born. I see the wedding album of the day we became one. I saw my first car that was really mine, not one dad and mom gave me. And so many other items that meant so much and all ruined, covered in mud and soaked in water. Of course, I cried.
As I recall, my husband and I were waiting for my mother-in-law to come babysit so that we could go to dinner. Our anniversary was only three days away and my husband was teaching summer school so the weekend just made sense to have a night out. I happened to look out the window and the street was filled with water. Weird huh? So I mentioned to my hubby to move his truck into the drive. Only a few minutes later, the whole neighborhood was in panic. We only had time to get the baby and run. I mean RUN. We ran to the entrance of our neighborhood and had to wade through almost waist deep water with a strong current. After, we heard it only took 12 minutes for the water to peak???? 12 minutes????
The days that followed were filled with love of friends and family lifting us up and helping us recover. Item by item was replaced if we could and our house was rebuilt but emotionally I still am recovering. Something more important than personal possesions was lost that day. Our two wonderful dogs, Allie and Chloe. I have not been able to forgive myself for not taking them. It just all happened so quick. Part of me died that day. Anyone that is a pet lover understands.
I got Allie when she was six weeks old. She was 4 when she died. She was the best mutt around. She was such a nervous dog but she loved people. I remember the first day we brought our son home. She paced between us and him in his crib. It was adorable. She was the protector.
We got Chloe the first year we were married, she was 1. She was 3 when she died. Chloe was the most laid back dog. She slept in bed with us under the covers. She was lazy unless she saw a rabbit and then she was like a flash.
They were my kids, my best buds. I miss them, I miss them everyday. I look out in the backyard and tell them everyday.



That is so sad. And I'm so sorry! I personally LOVE dogs and i would be devastated if that happened to me.
ReplyDelete